Home » Sites and places to visit » Saint Martin Church in Condé-en-Normandie

Saint Martin Church in Condé-en-Normandie

It is the oldest church in Condé. It was originally an oratory dedicated to St Martin, existing since the beginning of Christianity in the region. It was transformed into a parish church in the 11th century to serve the new town.
At the beginning of the 11th century, Lord William I of Bellême founded the abbey of Lonlay, he gave the community of monks, the church of St Martin that they could benefit from the income, it was the first time that Condé sur Noireau is mentioned in a text.

Saint Martin remained the only parish church in the town until the revolution. It was affected by the bombings of June 1944. The architect Jean Debiut, in charge of the reconstruction of the two Condéennes churches, enhanced the old parts of the church spared by the bombardment.

The old Portal on the right dates from the 13th century, this portal was preserved and flanked on the outside. Towards the end of the 19th century, the facade and the nave were demolished and rebuilt in a neo-Roman style. The bell tower dates from the 15th century.
The bas-relief of the portal represents Saint-Martin, at the gates of the city of Amiens, meeting a poor shivering with cold, almost naked, in a harsh winter. Below the bas-relief, we read the name of the sculptor: Leharivel-Durocher. He was born in Chanu, and studied at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris.

Entering on the left is, The Virgin of Mercy represents the Virgin Mary. Mother weeping for her child whom she holds on her knees, in this case Christ descended dead from the Cross before his entombment, an event placed before his Resurrection, preceding his Ascension. It is dedicated to the memory of the soldiers of the Saint-Martin district who died for France in 1914-1918. Just behind the Virgin, the names of the 69 Condeans of the Saint-Martin district who died for France.
It has adorned the Church of Saint-Martin in Condé-sur-Noireau since 1917. The pietà was made by the Brazilian sculptor João Turin. The interest of the work also lies in the mystery surrounding the face of the virgin. It is, according to certain assumptions, inspired by Isadora Duncan, famous dancer of the beginning of the 20th century. An artist frequented by João Turin during his Parisian years.


Find us

166 Rue Saint Martin, Condé sur Noireau 14110 CONDE-EN-NORMANDIE

Contact us

02 31 59 15 50